When it comes to mastering the art of makeup, applying eyeliner can be one of the trickiest skills to learn. A well-drawn eyeliner can accentuate your eyes, give them a defined shape, and make your lashes appear fuller.
With patience, practice, and a few expert tips, you'll soon master this technique. Here's a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to apply eyeliner.
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
Before you begin, you will need the following items:
- An eyeliner (You can choose a pencil, gel, or liquid eyeliner depending on your preference and skill level. Pencil eyeliners are the easiest to apply, whereas liquid and gel liners require a bit more precision.)
- A sharpener (If you're using a pencil eyeliner)
- A clean, flat surface to work on
- A mirror (Preferably a magnifying mirror)
- Makeup remover and cotton swabs for correcting mistakes
Step 2: Choose Your Eyeliner Style
There are several styles to choose from, including tightening (lining just the waterline), the classic line, cat-eye, and the smoky eye. If you're a beginner, it might be best to start with the classic line.
Step 3: Prep Your Eyes
Make sure your eyes are clean and dry. If your eyelids tend to get oily, you may want to apply an eye primer or a bit of concealer to help the eyeliner stay in place.
Step 4: Position Yourself
Stand or sit in front of a mirror, preferably in a well-lit area. Rest your elbow on a flat surface to keep your hand steady.
Step 5: Apply Eyeliner
For the classic line, follow these steps:
- Tilt your head back slightly and look down at the mirror. This will keep your eyelid relatively flat for easier application.
- Hold the eyeliner like you would a pencil. Start from the inner corner of your eye and draw a thin line along your upper lash line. Try to get the liner into the base of your lashes to avoid any gaps.
- If you're using a pencil liner, make sure it's sharp for a clean line. If you're using liquid or gel eyeliner, make sure your brush is thin and pointed for precision.
- As you move toward the outer edge of your eye, you can gradually make the line thicker if you wish.
Step 6: Create a Wing (Optional)
If you want to create a winged look:
- At the outer corner of your eye, extend the line upwards in the direction of the end of your eyebrow.
- Adjust the length of the wing as per your preference.
- Draw another line from the end of the wing back to your upper lash line, creating a small triangle.
- Fill in the triangle with your eyeliner.
Step 7: Clean Up and Correct Mistakes
Use a cotton swab dipped in makeup remover to clean up any smudges or mistakes. You can also use it to sharpen the wing if you've chosen that style.
Step 8: Repeat on the Other Eye
Try to make the eyeliner on both eyes symmetrical. This might require a bit of back-and-forth adjustment.
Step 9: Allow the Eyeliner to Dry
If you're using liquid or gel liner, make sure you keep your eyes closed for a few seconds to let the eyeliner dry. This will prevent it from smudging.
Step 10: Apply Mascara
To finish off your look, apply some mascara. This will make your lashes look fuller and blend in with the eyeliner for a more seamless look.
There you have it—a step-by-step guide to applying eyeliner. Remember, it might take some time to get the hang of it, so don't get discouraged if you don't get it perfect on your first try. Practice makes perfect, and soon you'll be a pro at applying eyeliner!